Adrienne's Reviews > Lock and Key

2087365
Jan 07, 2010

bookshelves: library-loan
Read from January 16 to 20, 2010

This was my second book by Sarah Dessen and it didn't disappoint. In this story we meet:~
Ruby who is trying to find, and come to terms with a new life away from her 'loving' but negligent mother. Only having ever been told one side of the story by a woman embittered by her feelings for Rubys father, Rubys view on life and living has been tainted.

Nate, (Rubys next door neighbour) who's a great guy who seems to have it all but does he? Ruby soon finds out things she doesn't want to know and whilst she's still coming to terms with her own adjustments to those around her she finds it difficult to offer the right kind of help for him.

Cora (Rubys sister) who is trying to make sense of problems within her own life whilst having to build the bridges that were severed when she moved away from Ruby and her mom.
and
Jamie (Coras husband) who pulls everyone together with his enigmatic personality and warm nature, and whilst Ruby sorely tests his patience he remains a positive force for her.

I loved this story, I especially liked the way Dessen incorporates Rubys two 'lives' and how Ruby interprets and evaluates her own actions. Ruby is a lovely intelligent character but I don't know how this story would've worked had she been arrogant and angry, maybe it wouldn't have hence the story of a girl who faced with choices makes mistakes but ultimately knows the right path to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock and Key.

01/17/2010 page 264
61.11% "Enjoying this one alot." 4 comments
01/18/2010 page 333
77.08% "Happy and sad at the same time, with a hero and heroine going through the opposite of each other." 11 comments
04/06/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Mahyar Aw, I wish I bought it too, I didn't think you would get it so soon, I have to wait till Saturday.

Adrienne That's ok no rush, I have the book for three weeks and can renew it after that if I need to.

Mahyar I can get it on Saturday and start it right away because I'm 100% sure I will finish Dark Lover till then, because it's so fucking amazing and exciting!

I'm on chapter thirty two right now <3

Adrienne Thought you may like that one:) Saturday if fine with me I've finished No Greater Pleasure, and need tt get some reviews typed up before I start reading.

Mahyar Like? I LOVE IT, haha.

Mahyar
Nice review <3

Rane Great Review Adrienne! Sounds like a great story!

Adrienne Thanks Mahyar I found it difficult to write this review for some reason, the story is fresh in my mind but it's so tightly woven with everyone elses story affecting the way Ruby sees herself and her life. I liked the way Desen bought in the school project about the meanig of 'Family' because that sort of explains the whole book.

Adrienne Thanks Rane it's a lovely story, but there again I like all that coming of age, finding yourself, emotional suff

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Great review, Adrienne. I think I'll like Sarah Dessen's books.

Adrienne Thanks Danielle. OH yes give her try and let me know what you think. It was Mahyar who suggested her to me and now I have an author to become addicted to LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I have Just Listen, so I'll read that one first. I'll definitely post a review of my thoughts.

Mahyar LOL Adrienne, I'm so glad you like her books.

Danielle "The Book Huntress": Just Listen sounds like a really good one!, can't wait for your review.

message 15: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Adrienne! I really need to read something by this author!

Adrienne Thanks Angelc, I think you'd like her books.

message 17: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Terrific review! This is one of my oldest DD's favorite books. One of these days I need to get around to borrowing it. :)

Adrienne Thank you Tammy. There's a really nice feel to this one, well worth borrowing.

message 19: by Phalyn (new)

Phalyn Fickas Is this book ritually appropriate? Like no sex, no drugs things like that!?

Catherina This is the first book by dessen i have read and i absolutely loved it and also came as a shock to me i didn't expect it to be so good. If her other books are this book then i cant wait to read them.

Jolie Lynch I haven't read this book yet and I'm going to but I'm wondering if it's going to be good or not. Suggestions