Manny's Reviews > The Complete Robot

The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov

Sep 23, 2014

bookshelves: science-fiction, parody-homage, mentions-twilight, story-review, the-goodreads-experience, pooh-dante
Read in January, 1973

Strong Opinions: a Susan Calvin story

Weems landed his helijet neatly, and congratulated himself on his early start. When he managed to get the coveted parking spot closest to the front gate of U.S. Robots, he always felt that the rest of the day would be a success too. He flashed his badge at the security guard, and took the fast pediwalk to his office. Now he would get half an hour to work undisturbed! But he had barely hung up his hat before the visiphone buzzed.

"I'm sorry, sir," said his secretary, "but it's a Mr. Plot-Device from Clunky Exposition Weekly. He wants to interview you about your new project. Claims he has a press deadline."

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Robot.

04/08 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-16 of 16) </span> <span class="smallText">(16 new)</span>

message 1: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker APPLAUSE!!!

Manny Thank you :)

Manny Thank you again!

All I can say is, I was suddenly visited last night by the spirit of Susan Calvin. I still can't figure out why!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

So lovely.

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo Bravo!

message 6: by Oriana (new)

Oriana Another stunner, Manny! Have you read Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books? I think you'd love them.

Manny Thank you Oriana! As you can see, I had fun writing this one. I loved the Susan Calvin stories when I was 12!

I keep meaning to check out Thursday Next, and I still haven't done it... must remember to pick one up next time I'm at a bookstore...

message 8: by Traveller (new) - added it

Traveller Brilliant , brilliant, brilliant. I nominate Manny to be our new Issac Asimov, because he makes me laugh and giggle and chuckle while I read his writings, whereas dear old Isaac only managed to elicit grumpy growls from me. :D

Well, done, Manny; this is the kind of thing why I have you in my fave author's list.

I want mooore!! Manny for RVUer of the year!

Manny Well thank you! but this is just ripped off from old Susan Calvin stories. Check out the originals!

message 10: by Traveller (last edited May 12, 2012 04:57AM) (new) - added it

Traveller Manny wrote: "Well thank you! but this is just ripped off from old Susan Calvin stories. Check out the originals!"

Oh, but I have! ..and like already mentioned, I don't like them. I think your version is much better. Yours made me chuckle and gurgle in delight. Isaac's versions give me a headache from all the continuous eye-rolls I make while reading them. In fact, I gave up on them eventually.

Manny I don't know what to say! Can it be that Asimov occasionally... takes himself too seriously?

No! No! Heresy! I didn't mean it! Buy only the genuine, certified Susan Calvin!

message 12: by Traveller (last edited May 12, 2012 08:49AM) (new) - added it

Traveller You're too modest and too religiously observant of keeping the status quo intact and icons on their pedestals, Manny! ;)

I guess I'm a real rocker of boats and stirrer of pots. If I don't like a book I don't like 'em, no matter how popular they are, I'm afraid...

I do enjoy your astute sense of humor though.

Jean-marcel Traveller wrote: "Brilliant , brilliant, brilliant. I nominate Manny to be our new Issac Asimov, because he makes me laugh and giggle and chuckle while I read his writings, whereas dear old Isaac only managed to el..."

Yes, this was amazing, and...very Asimov! Sure, Asimov may not be so literary, but I promise he has a lot of funny stories....though admittedly some of them are groaners. Still, I think I might take an Asimov Pun over a Zelazny Pun.

message 14: by Manny (last edited May 12, 2012 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Manny Well, thank you again! And for the Asimov fans, the story I am ripping off most here is his 1969 piece "Feminine Intuition", which I read when it originally came out in Fantasy & Science Fiction...

message 15: by Traveller (new) - added it

Traveller Thanks to the two of you, I'm going to make a note to go back to my old SF collections and dig out some Asimov short stories, and I'll try to look at Susan Calvin with new eyes, Manny!

Jean-marcel I can't recall whether I've read that piece, but I certainly recognised this was a play on his style of the time....