Ronyell's Reviews > A Light in the Attic

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

Mar 15, 14

bookshelves: manners, shel-silverstein, banned-books, read-in-2009, children-s-book, fantasy, gross-humor, my-blog-reviews, picture-book, short-story-collection
Recommended for: Children ages 6 and up
Read in February, 2009

“A Light in the Attic” is one of Shel Silverstein’s best yet most controversial books of poems ever written. This book is full of poems about clowns, pirates, monsters and all manner of strange people and animals doing crazy things. “A Light in the Attic” may be too suggestive and morbid for smaller children, but older children will easily delight themselves with the silly shenanigans of the characters.

Shel Silverstein’s writing is as witty as it is funny as he writes each character’s stories in a poetic prose. One of the funniest poems I have read was “Squishy Touch” when the main character turns everything into Jell-O. Shel Silverstein’s illustrations are highly creative as the images make the characters look scratchy and also I love the images being presented in black and white colors, a technique that is usually used for long books. The image that probably stood out the most was the image of the Gink as it has a large mouth with sharp teeth and the image of the kids coming out of the Gink on the next page.

Parents should know that there are some suggestive and morbid content in this book that young children might not understand. One poem that might be too suggestive for children would be the poem “How not to have to dry the dishes” as it entices children to break the dishes in order not to dry them. Another poem that might be too morbid for children would be “Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony” as it deals with the death of a child and parents might want to explain to their children about the concept of death before they read this poem.

“A Light in the Attic” is an excellent book about silly poems about silly people who do crazy stunts and it will surely be an instant for many children young and old. I would recommend this book to children ages six and up since smaller children might be a bit disturbed by the suggestive and morbid content displayed in this book.

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Banner

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Light in the Attic.

Quotes Ronyell Liked

“Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.”

Shel Silverstein
“When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?”
tags: lsd

Shel Silverstein
“If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
('Stead of going to the store)
If you have to dry the dishes
And you drop one on the floor
Maybe they won't let you
Dry the dishes anymore”

Shel Silverstein
“Somebody has to go polish the stars,
They're looking a little bit dull.
Somebody has to go polish the stars,
For the eagles and starlings and gulls
Have all been complaining they're tarnished and worn,
They say they want new ones we cannot afford.
So please get your rags
And your polishing jars,
Somebody has to go polish the stars.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

R.S. Carter I loved these books as a kid. I remember three of these great big books of poems by Silverstein. I need to pick these up for my kids.

Ronyell R.S. wrote: "I loved these books as a kid. I remember three of these great big books of poems by Silverstein. I need to pick these up for my kids."

Yeah! Shel Silverstein really knew how to write fantastic children's books!