Jennifer's Reviews > Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children

Leaving Microsoft to Change the World by John Wood

Jan 07, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, alphabetical-reading-challenge-2010, memoir-autobiography
Recommended for: Educators and Book Lovers
Read in January, 2010

John Wood quite an amazing job at Microsoft to make the world a better place by providing books to children around the world. His efforts have built hundreds of libraries and provided scholarships to school...not college, but primary and secondary thousands. His love of reading as a child motivated him to help make sure that children in Nepal, Vietnam, South Africa, and India could get an education and make better lives.

I was very moved by his story of what parents and communities were willing to do when they had a chance to see a library built in their school. In one Nepali village, the cement for building was donated by the local rock crushing company, but there was no transport. The women of the village volunteered to carry the bags of cement ON THEIR BACK up the steep mountain to the village each morning before they went to do their daily work.

This book underlines the saying, "There is no difference between the man who can't read and the man who won't read" and also highlights how ignorant we are of the privileges we enjoy. I bought this book for under a dollar at a thrift store...someone in Nepal had to carry building materials up a mountain so their child could learn to read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Microsoft to Change the World.

01/07/2010 page 204