Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > Ashes in the Wind

Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

What was I THINKING with 3 stars?!?! Excellent book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes in the Wind.

08/01/2010 page 229
34.0% "This is how a historical romance should read...love it."
08/03/2010 page 368
55.0% "Love it, love it, love it...."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gigi LOL!! See, you finished it before me. I found it to be a bit slow. How about you?

Tammy Walton Grant I've read it before, but just started it again for a challenge in August. I LOVE Kathleen Woodiwiss - she's my favourite HR author, so I like the set up she does. You're right, she takes her time, but I love the relationship between Cole and "Al", before he finds out she is Alaina. Have you finished it?

message 3: by Gigi (last edited Aug 01, 2010 03:06PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gigi No, I'm only up to page 160. I'm an odd reader. If a book really grabs me, I can finish it in no time. If a book doesn't grab me, I get distracted by other books, the phone, people, friends, family, TV, the radio, the sun rising and setting, the wind blowing, blowing my nose..etc. LOL

He just had sex with Al. And her cousin is a newlywed. Lucky Cole (sarcasm lol)!

edited: Changed my she to a he...is it too early in the day to use drinking as an excuse (joke...lol).

Tammy Walton Grant I'm like that with the Hunger Games. Great writing, great story, I just don't typically like those kinds of stories so I have a hard time picking it up, instead of blowing my nose like you said, LOL!

Keep reading - there is SO much more that happens in this one. There's a reason it's 664 pages!

Tammy Walton Grant It's always noon somewhere, Gigi! I called this book Asses in the Wind earlier today so you're not alone. :)

message 6: by TJ (new)

TJ If you loved it, how come only 3 stars?

Tammy Walton Grant Ah ha! I knew someone would notice that -- it's how I rated it when I entered all my books on GR in December, without the benefit of having read it in the past 10 years. You can be sure it's going up, at least by 1!

Gigi Tammy wrote: "It's always noon somewhere, Gigi! I called this book Asses in the Wind earlier today so you're not alone. :)"

LOL!!! I just saw this! LOL

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I was just going to say "Why 3 stars?" too :P

I'm only on pg 53, but I don't feel like I've been reading long. I love this long set-up stuff, so that I know the characters well before they start doing things. Really dislike the books that start off with a bang and then all the backstories get filled in where needed, because it sounds like the author's just making it up as she goes along. "Oh, now that this is happening, there's a thing in the past that is TOTALLY relevant and I'm telling it to you right now!" Feh.

Tammy Walton Grant Me too - they're barely supposed to have KISSED by page 150, jeez! I wish more authors still wrote their books this way. I'm supposed to fall in love with Cole Latimer the same time/way Alaina does, not to just read that it has happened and then be told all reasons I should feel it too. Feh, exactly!

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) That's exactly what happens in The Black Swan. We see Adam Tremaine's entire worldview formed as a teenager so that we know why he's helping escaped slaves while remaining a loyal Southerner, and then we see the heroine's attitudes altered by what she sees on her plantation, and THAT'S how they meet up. They've got something solid in common. And in the meantime, you're breathing the antebellum air, it's so real.

Those two characters will be with me until I die, I'm sure. They're that memorable, because the author(s) took their time to do it right instead of just getting to the sex.

"Over 250 pages before they meet???!?" a reader might yelp.

"Oh, get over it," I say. "The change will do you good."

Oh, need I mention that if you haven't read it, you should? LOL

Tammy Walton Grant I think I did read The Black Swan a hunnerd years ago - I remember their names and some of the plot points, but not much else (was there voodoo in that one?). That would have been why I read Bitter Eden back then too.

I think I should track it down. As a teenager I thought the set up was too long - I was reading them for the sex, you know!

How are you liking Ashes?

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I'm loving it. :D I've got to take a walk for lunch, but then I'm coming back to read!

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Wow, from 3 to 5, huh? Memory was a little hazy, I guess! :D

I'm really enjoying it. Better than Shanna - which I couldn't get into. But that one's going to get re-attempted.

Tammy Walton Grant Either that or I just appreciate it more now than I did in my 20s (the last time I read it). Petals on the River is next up of Woodiwiss' books, with Shanna right behind it.

Ashes has reminded me why Woodiwiss is my favourite HR author.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) She's definitely becoming a favorite if I want a leisurely-paced romance, when I want to savor something. :)

message 17: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Does the hero cheat on the heroine? Some one said he did but-I need me some conformation :P

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) The hero marries another woman after he sleeps with the heroine IIRC.

message 19: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin so he sleeps with the other woman?
Does the heroine get pregnant by that one time of sex,?

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Yes, he sleeps with her. Heroine isn't pregnant IIRC. The scene where he ends up getting bushwhacked into marrying the other woman is pretty foggy in my mind. I think the heroine could have cleared everything all up but, of course, doesn't.

message 21: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin his wife or the heroine?Sleep with I mean--He sleeps with Roberta and I know he sleeps with the main heroine Sorry I confused my self :P

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Sleeps with Roberta, the wife.

message 23: by Erin (new) - added it