Michelle's Reviews > The Goose Girl

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Apr 05, 2011

bookshelves: coming-of-age, young-adult
Read in April, 2011

All new stories are just old stories, waiting to be retold. And I do enjoy it when an author takes an old tale, one say from the Brother's Grimm, and fleshes it out for a new audience. And that is The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale.

Young Princess Ani, a shy and reluctant royal of the Kildenree Court, finds herself thrust into the world when her mother the Queen decides that while Ani is the crown princess, it would be better to make nice with a somewhat trigger happy neighboring kingdom, Bayern, to keep the dogs of war at bay. Ani, so the Queen decides, must marry the Bayern Prince; thus, Ani is sent out on a journey that will take her to more than just the palace of her new kingdom. When her traitorous young lady-in-waiting, Selia, schemes to steal her name and her place as rightful bride to the prince, Ani is forced to forsake her identity and hide from those who would kill her before word gets to the King of Bayern that the princess from Kildenree is not who she says she is.

Books like this are why I enjoy young adult literature so much. Good story telling. Likable, flawed characters. A satisfying conflict with a happy resolution. Hale is quickly becoming a fave. Her books are reminiscent of another favorite author, Robin McKinley. Since I love a good retelling of an old tale, this book was right up my ally. In fact, I'm not sure why I've been so reluctant to read Shannon Hale sooner. My apologies to all of you who've been giving me the green light. I should have listened a little sooner!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goose Girl.