Nancy's Reviews > A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog

A Big Little Life by Dean Koontz

Jan 15, 10

bookshelves: memoir
Recommended for: dog lovers only!
Read in January, 2010

This book is only for extreme dog lovers or those who allow that other people sometimes love their dogs like family. No one who has ever said or would say "It's only a dog." should read this, because they will suffer injury from excessive and extreme eye-rolling! I, personally, am a dog lover, so I could handle it. My father always says, "Never trust anyone who doesn't like dogs." :) I also happen to like Dean Koontz's writing.

Dean and Gerda Koontz never had children of their own. When they decided to take in Trixie - 30 some years into their marriage! - they became 'parents' in the way they treated that dog - lucky Trixie! But, lucky for the Koontzs too, as they were changed for good because of their love for her.

Trixie sounds like an amazing animal. I am aware of the tendency in us to read too much into our dog's actions, but there were really some fascinating experiences with Trixie. I also understand that Koontz is telling us what HE believes Trixie is thinking, etc, not necessarily what is really happening. That is something we simply can't know for sure. I like the way Koontz writes about life and religious ideas and faith and hope and trust and love in this little book. Life lessons abound as he tells us about Trixie and their lives.

I am of the belief that dogs are truly amazing creatures. I believe that the only place I have experienced 100% unconditional love 100% of the time is from a dog - they are quick to forgive and always ready to just be by your side - or in your lap - no matter what. Everyone could benefit from this kind of love and acceptance. It is life changing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Big Little Life.

Vivian Enjoyed your chatty review.

Vivian I am not an extreme dog lover. Our dogs have been "outside" dogs. In fact, until we got our first dog quite by accident about sixteen years ago I did not even like dogs. What I like about this story is the author's life experiences and how he describes him. He is funny in a Dave Barry sort of way. He is also everything I am not so far as personality traits go. It is interesting to me to take a walk in his shoes, as it were.