Bird's Reviews > 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover

50 Ways to Hex Your Lover by Linda Wisdom

Oct 18, 10

bookshelves: first-in-a-series, saucy, read-in-2010, paranormal
Read from February 21 to 22, 2010

I have never found a funny paranormal romance series that I like. "Funny" in PNR apparently means stupid, eye-rolling humor that I imagine very few people actually find amusing. Why do I keep picking them up, you ask? Because the covers are so frickin' cute! I'm a sucker for good cover art, always believing that the books will be just as enticing as those adorable covers. (I mean c'mon, look at the cover on this one! Spunky witch driving a convertible with her black fanged cat? I'll take two, please!)

I didn't particularly care for the main character, Jazz, who had a highly annoying internal dialogue that consisted of things like, "Eeeewwww." (Very interesting, eh?) The POV frequently switches between Jazz and Nick without warning, and I found myself going back to reread sentences so I could figure out who was narrating. Sometimes I couldn't even tell.

Nick wasn't very interesting or likable to me. I liked that they had so much history together, but it's randomly referred to throughout the story in such a disjointed way that the reader never gets a good sense of what has happened. They've apparently had many issues in the past which seem to have arisen simply because they couldn't sit down and talk things out. (Least favorite romance novel cliche.)

The pacing is horrible. The first few hundred pages, nothing happens. No, really. Jazz runs around doing some "witchy" things while trying to avoid seeing Nick. And that's it. Even when they do get down to talking about the missing vampires, the conversation takes about a quarter of a page.

The sex scenes were very dull. I actually flipped past them. Part of it was the writing (FYI, Ms. Wisdom, "labia" is not a sexy word), and part of it was that I didn't like the relationship between Nick and Jazz, nor did I find it believable.

The cover art also confuses me, because there is not a cat in the story. While this is hardly the author's fault, and most likely beyond her control, it annoys me when the cover blatantly contradicts the novel. (I'm very worked up about cover art today for some strange reason.)

Anyway, a major disappointment. Will not be reading anything further from this author.

I actually would have liked this better if her roommate Krebs had been the love interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura I am 100% with you about Krebs!

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat I'm only 16 pages in and I already feel this way. I don't know how many more awful cliches this author is going to cram in before I just have to put this book down...

Melissa If your looking for a good series that is parnormal romance that is funny, I suggest Dakota Cassidy's Accidental series. They are very funny! While I was reading them I was laughing out loud.

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise Kemp I would recommend Molly Harper's 'Nice Girls' series, her take on a paranormal romance is hilarious !!

Melissa Louise wrote: "I would recommend Molly Harper's 'Nice Girls' series, her take on a paranormal romance is hilarious !!"

My girlfriend loves Molly Harper! I read her book And One Last Thing and really enjoyed it. It's not paranormal but funny. Once again Dakota Cassidy is def an author to read. Her characters and stories are great!

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise Kemp Her Nice Girl series and werewolf series are awesome. I love the humor which doesn't take away from how good the story is :o)
I loved One Last Thing to, very funny !!