Deb's Reviews > Blue Diablo

Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre

Jan 06, 10

bookshelves: paranormal_romance
Read in January, 2010

I'm easing into the paranormal romance genre one budging inch at a time, since I can't have a new Laurell K. Hamilton book every week (sigh). Many of the books in this genre are pretty terrible or imitations of each other--I'll eventually post those reviews as well.

The main character Corine can sense the past of an object, but it burns her hands every time due to the way she inherited her gift. While living as an illegal alien in Mexico (the author notes the irony of this), Corine is tracked down by an ex-lover who wants her to find his mom and they embark on a pretty wild chase that ends with zombies and magic and gunfights.

One of the odd things about Aguirre's style is product placement--you learn exactly what type of food, perfume, and clothing labels some of the characters use. It's not bad, since I'll often read about something cool and wish I knew what the real-life equivalent is, just strange because so few authors do this.

One of the downsides of this book? Lack of sex. Bah. It's also written in the first person, which is just a personal literary moue. Upside? Strong character development & ooh la la romantic entanglements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Diablo.