Trickey's Reviews > Ship of Destiny

19074
Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read in January, 2010

This series was part of a "Best Science Fiction/Fantasy for Female Readers" list I found on the internet. It was also recommended to me by a man go figure.

The very first part of the first book made me think I was going to hate it, but low and behold I finished all three in under a week. While there are definitely strong characters and lots of things to like as a female reader, the author also suffers from a tendency to embellish the writing with the same missives over and over as well as poor editing otherwise (especially in the 3rd book where I found a number of text errors that made context confusing). Still, I think the 3rd one is the best of the bunch, rounding out the story in unanticipated ways and with elegant political and plot solutions. Hobb also does one of the best character turnarounds with Malta, and manages to bring in characters who were just asides previously into their own with the concluding chapter. If you don't mind fancy language and the same descriptions used repeatedly for characters (i.e. Etta the "tigress" who has "flashing eyes" blah blah blah eventually I just skipped over it) and can look past that to the exceedingly intricate and well done story line, you will enjoy this series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship of Destiny.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erin I seriously can't believe you read the series in a week! How do you sit still that long? haha. That's cool though- I'm jealous. It took me a year and 1/2 to complete them all (reading other books in between)

Trickey Erin wrote: "I seriously can't believe you read the series in a week! How do you sit still that long? haha. That's cool though- I'm jealous. It took me a year and 1/2 to complete them all (reading other books i..."

Ah, I don't usually read two books at the same time unless it's fiction and non-fiction.