Bibliomantic's Reviews > The Great Train Robbery

The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: history, it-s-a-rough-life-out-there-crime
Read in January, 2010

Only about half of this text may be considered as that belonging to a novel. The other half is comprised of a series of lectures, notes, or asides, whatever one wants to call the intermittent commentary on anything and everything historical and otherwise that Crichton thinks the reader needs explained. It’s good that virtually all of them are interesting, many are even fascinating, but somehow I felt it would have been better if they were integrated into the novel proper without it seeming like one is lectured to. The author obviously did a lot of research prior to writing the book, and the finished product is actually quite decent. As all the other Crichton novels I’ve come across, the narrative manages to sustain one’s curiosity and one looks forward to finding out about what happens next, but that’s about all there is to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Train Robbery.

message 1: by Martine (new)

Martine Heh. A little light listening in between all the Dostoyevsky, eh? For some reason the contrast between your current reading projects amuses me, but I can see why you might want to spice things up every now and then.

message 2: by Bibliomantic (last edited Jan 06, 2010 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bibliomantic LOL, indeed. The thing is that I have books on my 'currently reading' list stashed at various locations, e.g., bedroom, living room, car, office, etc., and I tend to go from on to another depending on the mood. Try as I might, while I do usually give one or two most of my reading attention, I just can't make myself read one book at a time. And yes, a light and quick read like this one serves very well as an escape or diversion. I must say, though, that 'Crime and Punishment', which is getting most of my attention right now, was love at first page to me, and that qualifies it as a literary getaway. Interestingly enough, the historical period of Chricton's book more or less coincides with that of Dostoevsky's, and there are some incidentals as well. Both, for instance, talk of a neighborhood named Haymarket.