Lesley's Reviews > Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong

Cake Wrecks by Jen Yates

Jan 09, 2010

liked it
Read in January, 2010

Well, I had a copy of this floating around for a few months before Christmas and never got around to reading it, then gave it to my Brother and Sister-in-law as originally planned. So then my sister-in-law LOVED it and told my mom all about it, so my mom asked me to get it for her for her mother's day present, which was originally supposed to be a trip to Buffalo Exchange (which we STILL haven't gotten around to). So, through circumstance I wound up with another copy, and this time no drama in my life to get in the way of reading it.

Long story short - I expected to like this more. The blog is better. And while I enjoyed reading it I don't think I would buy a copy for myself. In general it just seemed like an editor or high muckety-muck somewhere made her tone down her usual humor to make it more "mainstream" for a wider audience. Or something. It's hard to describe, but it just seems like he humor is more honest, geeky, and edgy on the blog, and the book was tamed down. Or something. Also, I feel like a snob saying this, but I thought the graphic design of the book was pretty cliche and lame and did not do justice to the humor of the material. I guess I would describe it as if the blog were too racy and edgy for Grandama (racy and edgy, HA!)and this is the Grandma-safe version. Which really says something since the blog is already E for everyone. Mostly.

I'm having a hard time describing it - maybe saying it was the dish without the seasoning? The raw food version? Cooked without the salt and pepper?

Maybe it was just me - I'll have to see what my other friends who follow the blog think of this one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cake Wrecks.