Mara Ismine's Reviews > Shifting

Shifting by Rob Knight

Jan 12, 10

bookshelves: male-male, paranormal, romance, fantasy-sci-fi, 2010, anthology, fictionwise
Read from January 01 to 12, 2010 — I own a copy

I was expecting a collection of short stories, but got novellas in this early Torquere release. Some of the stories are rather risque by current standards, so if you don't like your shapeshifters playing with their humans when they are not human themselves then do avoid this one.

The stories themselves were the usual mixture of good and bad that you get with any anthology - reader's preference will determine which is which. My over all impression is of gratuitous, repetitive sex scenes, perhaps added to increase the word count, although one of the worst offenders did have me crying during a sex-scene-free section.

It has taken me a few days to finish this book. I took long breaks between the stories. And if it hadn't been listed on here I might not have finished it yet. Which would be a shame because the last story was the best, in my opinion.

One general ebook gripe: why do the things you want to have an index not even have a contents page? And yet some novels have a linked index to every chapter? At nearly a thousand pages it was difficult to find the start of the next story whenever I came back to it - fortunately I didn't have to shut down the computer while reading any of them! I will have to pay more attention and see if the index thing is a publisher variation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shifting.