Ashley Pearson's Reviews > Precious

Precious by Sapphire

Jan 14, 10

Recommended for: I recommend this to those who do not have a week stomach and can handle really heavy stuff.
Read from January 04 to 13, 2010, read count: once

Precious/Push was a fast read, but by no means would I classify it as an "easy" read. The story follows the young life of Precious, who is 15 when the book begins and has been kicked out of school because she is pregnant for the second time by her father. Precious recounts in her own words the physical, emotional and sexual abuse she has endured at the hands of her mother and her father, and the school system's dismissal of her as a waste of time that cannot learn. A math teacher, however, notices that she has an aptitude for math and asks the principal of the school to recommend precious for an alternative school, where an unconventional teacher encourages her to write and to look at the world in a different way. Although at times I wanted to cover my eyes and cringed at the very vivid descriptions of Precious's abuse and her seemingly impossible struggles, I found myself plowing through the book. The powerful message I gleaned from Push is that you should always try to see beauty in apparent ugliness and never give up hope even when it looks like success is impossible. "Push" becomes an important word that represents Precious's endurance on a number of difficult occasions in her life. In sum, this book puts a lot of things into perspective and makes the daily battles that most of us face seem more than doable and the impossible possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Precious.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Would love to hear what you think of this book! I haven't read it or seen the movie but was thinking I may need to add it to my list.

Ashley Pearson So far I've really enjoyed it. It is very graphic and a very in-your-face look at a really rough life. I'll post a review when I finish it. I doubt it will be long considering it is a short book and a fast read.