Elisa 's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Jan 06, 2010

bookshelves: kids-fiction, seven-greatest-books-ever

A lot of people cite this book as their least favorite in the Potter saga; many of my friends included. When I asked one of my friends why he felt it was the worst of the bunch, he gave me a very reasonable reply. He'd come in late on the Potter game, having only read them last year in fact, when a Professor of his was walking them through what it takes to be a good mystery-- using Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as an example of a perfectly fashioned mystery.

Moving on to the second book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, my friend (let's call him Rex) found that this book wasn't up to standard mystery-wise in the way the first book had been, which is what he'd been expecting. Maybe it's because I first read it as a child, or it's maybe because I was more interested in the fantasy aspect, but I never really cared, nor do I care now that it doesn't follow the same standard mystery guidelines.

Rex was the only person who gave me an answer other than "I don't know, I just don't like it as much," so therefore his is the only one that I'm able to analyze. But enough negativity, allow me to explain what I do like about it.

Um, Ron's broken wand? Hysterical. Well, if I'm being honest, any single scene including Mr. Ron Weasley is bound to make me smile and any interaction between him and Hermione (yes, even this early on) is bound to make me squee!!!!!!!!!! Notice how quick he is to jump to Hermione's defense; notice how distraught he is over Hermione's being petrified. Oh, how I love them.

To add a few more- Harry's first trip to the Burrow! The flying car! Fred and George marching ahead of Harry, announcing him mockingly as the Heir of Slytherin! The singing Valentine's Day Dwarves! And our introduction to the Whomping Willow! Come on people, this is classic stuff!

I also love the part Ginny Weasley plays in this book; not so much the whole "helping the Heir of Slytherin thing," but her mad crush on Harry. Maybe because I was granted the fortune/misfortune of having a brother a grade above me, I also had the wonderful fortune/misfortune of crushing on all his super hott (yes with two t's) friends. Ah, how I remember the days of pining for them, of whining over their lack of return interest, of cursing my blasted gapped teeth and frizzy hair. Of course, unlike Ginny I was never able to woo any of them in the end, (even after my braces!) but I still think I did alright as far as men go;)

Okay, back to the text. I even enjoy ol' Lockhart, for what he's worth. Yeah, he's obnoxious, but that's the point, right? And yeah, the degree to whch he is obnoxious is a little cartoony and unrealistic, but let's not forget- this is a children's book, after all.

Chamber of Secrets also sees Harry destroying his first Horcrux, and offers us our first insight into one Tom Riddle. I would never discount this book, or cast it so carelessly aside as least favorite of the bunch (I don't believe in ranking these books, by the way). Anyway, it receives a full five stars from me with zero hesitation. I appreciate it's contribution to the Potter world and will look forward to reading it again when the time comes...which it will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Quotes Elisa Liked

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

02/20/2016 marked as: read

Tatiana Love your HP reviews:)

Elisa Thanks! I'm trying to apply a nice mix of obsessive fandom and self deprecation...

Chelsea hmm...haven't heard about #2 being a least favorite...as far as books go, they are all wonderful, but the movie for #5 was my least favorite.

message 4: by Katrina (new) - added it

Katrina I love to hear someone who loves Ron's relationship with Hermione as much as I do, the Hubs hates him for "stealing" Harry's girlfriend. Lol! The book/movie I hear is everyone's least favorite is the third one.....which is my favorite. Great review!

message 5: by Assassin (new)

Assassin White ya i like the harry potter movies and series and you look beautiful in that picture comment back!

message 6: by Assassin (new)

Assassin White not up there the first one

Elisa Thanks:)

Makena Good review :)

Steph I don't think I could rate the HP books either..... As you said, they're all good :)

Matthew Norton Good job! I read it. 5 stars all the way from China. ;)

Isabel Kinsella Yes! ROMIONE FTW!

Cassandra Fischer Of course it doesn't really matter to me, but to those unfortunate souls who have not read the series, you may want to hide the comment because of spoilers.