Elisa 's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Mar 15, 14

bookshelves: kids-fiction, seven-greatest-books-ever
Read from December 23, 2010 to January 28, 2011

I'm not sure if I should review this right now or not. I'm nearly done with Order of the Phoenix, so my thoughts might possibly come out a bit blurred between both books, but I'm just going to to give it my best shot anyway, and I may or may not decide to post in the end. (Hint: If you're reading this, I decided to post.)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Who else remembers seeing this monster for the first time? I believe I was in the 8th grade when it made its debut. Now, I was not quite old enough to hang out at midnight book releases (though this was the last Potter book that I didn't go to one) or even to really keep up with release dates of things (I know, shameful), but fortunately I had that cool Uncle I mentioned back in my review for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Uncle Mike kept up with all big-time book, movie, and tv premieres and made it his solemn duty to be sure that the kids related to him would be on top of things.

So, even though I was not really even fully aware it was out, Uncle Mike snagged me a copy on the release day and gave it to me as a (two month early) birthday present. At the time, my cousin and I had somewhat of an unhealthily competitive relationship, so we entered into an unspoken race to see who would finish first. I'm sure we each have our own version of how things went down, but dear goodreads readers-- believe me when I tell you I totally got this one in the bag. And if you've seen the size of this thing, you know that is a serious victory.

Yes. It is a big book-- for a kid, it almost feels as daunting as cracking open the bible. Luckily, it reads a little faster (and that's coming from a Christian). For the first time, we are given a look into some of the wizardry outside Hogwarts-- and it's awesome. Beauxbatons and Durmstang-- two wizarding schools which differ largely from Hogwarts. Harry is entered against his will into what is known as "The Triwizard Tournament" to compete against members of other schools in various tests of skill, strength, and courage. The winner is awarded a buttload of galleons, a pretty little cup, and you know-- glory and stuff. Though Harry is initially a little freaked over his name mysteriously being entered, he's still successful in the competition...to no one's surprise.

One of the most notable happenings in the book is that painful Ron/Harry feud which, when Ron is your favorite character, seems to last an eternity, but is in reality a fairly short portion of the book. Even though he acted a fool, I stand by my man-- it has to be hard living in Harry's shadow. And speaking of my man, or, uh, Hermione's man to be more precise-- how can you not love the first sure-fire sign of their feelings for one another at the Yule Ball? It doesn't get played nearly as well in the movie, (through no fault of Rupert Grint or Emma Watson) but that is some fun stuff in the book. I also like that Harry gets turned down by Cho. I know-- it sounds terrible, but no one should have everything come easy to them.

From the fun and frivolous ball to the quirky, entertaining competition tasks, much of the book maintains its usual light tone. But there's a reason this book is as big as it is; it's hiding one hell of a punch to the gut.

SPOILER!!!!

He-who-must-not-be-named returns.
And he sucks.
Hard.

Cedric Diggory, Harry's fellow Hogwarts competitor, is dealt a quick but cruel death, the first significant one of the series. I, for one, was not expecting it. I mean I always figured ol' Voldy would come back, it just didn't enter my wee little brain that that would mean characters I cared about might actually, you know, die.

Then right after the sobfest that is Cedric's death, Harry is reuinted with his parents for a brief moment. It is beautiful and tragic and at that point in my life, I had never read anything like it. The value Rowling intends to instill with the conclusion of the story-- that we need not separate ourselves so fiercely, even though our differences might be great, is one that's important to all people groups. Yes, even us stuffy Christians;) Thought this is the fourth book, it feels oddly like the beginning. I can't wait to write my next reviews. Thanks for reading (I don't know why I've gone strangely formal).

So how did I do in a review in which I actually talk about the plot?
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Quotes Elisa Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

01/22/2011 "Review definitely to come soon. I've just kinda sucked lately as far as keeping up on here."

message 1: by Cassandrat (new)

Cassandrat Great review. Very well written. I enjoyed it immensely.