Izzy Ringer's Reviews > Losers

Losers by Matthue Roth

Apr 07, 10

bookshelves: ir
Read in January, 2010

In Losers, a socially awkward and sexually insecure Russian 15 year old named Jupiter finds his way through high school and learns how you can become popular and how to be happy. He started out as an awkward loser whose thick Russian accent was almost incomprehensible, and turned into an old-bands-who-no-one's-ever-heard-of lover and a well-respected kid in high school. Jupiter goes to his first party in the beginning of the book, and figures out what connections will get you to the top of the social ladder.

While reading this book, I made a text-to-self connection. Jupiter reminds me of an old friend of mine who went to the same middle school as I did last year. He used to be remarkably shy and uncomfortable around other people, but he helped me with a math concept I was having trouble with and we became friends. After that he started talking to other people and became pretty popular. I think this is very similar to what happened to Jupiter, who met the most popular girl at school (not comparing myself to the girl from the book AT ALL) at the party. She helps him make good connections and he subsequently becomes popular and respected. Both Jupiter and my old friend started at the bottom of the food chain and made their way to the top.

I gave this book four stars because it was fabulously written and incredibly heartwarming and funny! Some readers that might enjoy this book are people who liked Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers because they are both written in first person with similar complaining and witty voice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losers.