Josiah's Reviews > Mouse Tales

Mouse Tales by Arnold Lobel

1914201
Jan 06, 10

Read in January, 2010

This book of little stories is about seven young mouse boys who lie awake one night, and their father, who at their request for a bedtime story tells his sons that he will tell them seven tales, a different one for each boy.

I like the way that the father mouse looks just like an illustrated version of author Arnold Lobel, himself. It adds a dimension of warmth to the book, in my mind. What also contributes warmth to these seven miniature animal fables is the utterly charming drawings by Arnold Lobel that accompany them, drawings that fit the story seemingly perfectly. Some of the stories are funny, some are definitely very silly, but all of them will make the reader think, at least a little bit.

If asked, I would say that my favorite individual story would have to be the second "chapter", Clouds, about a young mouse watching for familiar shapes in the clouds with his mother. When his mother briefly leaves the area to find flowers, a cloud appears that looks very much like a large feline, and the boy becomes frightened. Even after his mother shows him that there was nothing to fear because no matter what the cloud looked like it was still only a cloud, the boy is hesitant to resume his fun game of looking for shapes in the sky. Human beings often so easily allow unlikely fears to alter their ability to fully experience life, and it seems that mice have the same problem. Such is life, I suppose.

This book is good work from an author known for producing high quality literature for kids.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mouse Tales.

01/05/2010 page 20

Michelle Ruedin I am confused. You seem to think well of the book, but only gave it two stars.