Barbara's Reviews > My Most Secret Desire

2192929
Jan 05, 2010

bookshelves: comics
Read in January, 2010

It was honestly refreshing to read this. (well, i read it right after I read Chris Ware and I don't know if refreshing is the right word. it was strange going from Chris Ware extremely simplified geometric style to Julie Doucet, which is very detailed and a lot going on.) I would say it's refreshing because after reading so so many comics from usually white men, it's good to get a different perspective. I would compare her to Ivan Brunetti in a way because the two of them are very explicit in their comics and with Julie i can relate to it because i'm a woman and i have thought of the same things like what it would be like to be a man and have a penis.

Stylistically, I think there's too much going on in each frame, too much patterns, too much lines. It makes it very difficult for the reader to focus on what we're supposed to look at and what's important.

Stylistically, this might have been more difficult for me to read since I did read Chris Ware right before this.
BUT!!! the style does make sense with the content because the entirely of the book takes place in her dreams. In dreams nothing is simple, everything is all chaotic. THUS i take it back. style is good. lol.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Most Secret Desire.