Russ's Reviews > Fall on Your Knees

190649
Jan 17, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, historical, mystery, new-york, novel
Read from January 04 to 17, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** "Frances learns something in this moment that will allow her to survive and function for the rest of her life. She finds out that one thing can look like another. That the facts of a situation don't necessarily indicate anything about the truth of a situation."

I think this passage sums up the entire theme of the novel. We may think we know what's going on, and so might the characters, but nothing is ever really what it seems. The consequences will haunt the Piper family and you, the reader.

I love it when I get something from a book that I completely didn't expect. It's fitting that the quote at the very beginning of the novel is from Wuthering Heights, because this book affected me much like Wuthering Heights did. I don't know what I was expecting out of it, but I know I was expecting a more normal family. What I got was a family full of flawed, bizarre, yet loving individuals. There's enough drama in here to analyze for years to come.

Did I enjoy this novel? Yes, and no. The subject matter is far from 'fun.' There are some very intense themes found here, and some very real crimes. Sometimes you can't help but feel that tragedy is inevitable in this family, and you're just waiting for the next horrible thing to occur. Still, even with the intensity and despair, this is truly a novel and everything a novel should be. It is thick, not only in number of pages but in the themes, connections, plots, foreshadowing, multiple perspectives and more. It's a book you can really think about and dive into. I had a hard time putting it down after a while. At first I didn't think it had much of a plot, but the larger plot will be revealed when you turn the last page. I loved the fact that I never knew where the author was taking me. I never knew what was going to happen and could only imagine what the next hundred pages would bring. Finding out was a pleasure and a pain all in one.

This is the kind of novel you cannot read just once. I will need to read it again someday to really understand every part of the plot and savor every character trait revealed. Anne-Marie MacDonald has created a world with very real people, people who are complex and sometimes difficult to understand. She has created a novel you can really chew on, a novel you can really enter and get lost in. It's all in here, awaiting your discovery.

In my reviews on Goodreads, I usually describe a little of the plot, but I won't do that here. This novel is best enjoyed without any prior knowledge of its contents. Even reading the blurb on the back might be a little too much. Of course, what can one say about a book that starts off with "They're all dead now"? This is a difficult book to read, but a rewarding experience too. It's not a pleasant journey, but it's a full journey and if that's something you look for in a novel, then this book is for you.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall on Your Knees.

01/17/2010 "Finished!"