James's Reviews > Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health

Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard

Jan 05, 2010

Read in January, 2010

A Bit of Background:

The year 2010 marks the Sixtieth year of publication of Dianetics. Clearly, you want the new edition. This entry is Amazon.com's older paperback. Get this one instead: Dianetics: The Modern Science Of Mental Health (English); Or better yet, get the book & audio kit: Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health [With Booklet]; Or get the video presentation of how it works: Dianetics Self-Improvement Package; Dianetics: A Visual Guidebook to the Mind - L. Ron Hubbard.

OK, here's my review. I've actually read the book and used it. It is a manual that is meant to be used. Use it to help your friends and family. Joining organizations and such is not necessary. Just read the book, and use it to help your friends.

First Impressions:

What's new in the new edition? Well, nothing! The publisher didn't change anything in the book itself other than typos and punctuation errors that were introduced by Hermitage House Publishers back in 1950. In comparing the original manuscript and putting those footnotes in the back of the book, enlarging and darkening the font size, it makes for a more comfortable read.

Dianetics is an alternative to psychology and outlines several basic things that can help a person help themselves (thus the phrase "self-help") as well as help others.

Table of Contents:

Among the chapters in this book we find the following: The Goal of Man; The Dynamic Principle of Existence; The Four Dynamics (a dynamic is a drive upon which life is compartmented); a descriptive graph of survival (which was interesting - I never knew survival was more than "just barely making it" until I read Hubbard's definition); and the discovery and complete anatomy of what Hubbard calls the "Reactive Mind", which commands one to act irrationally against their own wishes and goals. Since I have been known to act irrationally, it's good to see what's causing it and what to do about it.

It's a thick book, 491 pages of actual text, divided into Theory and Practical applications; a 5 page glossary of important terms; a chapter called Dianetics in the 21st Century that brings us up to date from those long-gone days of 1950 (the year Dianetics was published) which has reprints from the LA Star and The Daily News, which did news articles on Hubbard and Dianetics at that time. Lots of photos in this section, too.

It's interesting to see what their view was. And finally, an appendix that briefly lists other self-help books by Hubbard, which are all new 2008 editions!

Oh, and finally, finally, The Editor's Glossary, that gives dictionary definitions to English words as they were used in 1950 as well as specialized Dianetics terms, as they were used at that time of writing. This is real handy and makes reading the book that much more easily read.

Summarizing a Long Book!

It's tough for me not to write a long review on a book that is over 600 pages thick. It has every imaginable area of human relationships clearly delineated and how Dianetics can help problems associated with these: alcoholism, post partum depression, divorces, domestic violence and drug abuse amongst them.

Bottom Line:

So get this book but use Amazon's latest and greatest 2008 edition of the book, as I've described above. Remember, Dianetics is not Scientology and Dianetics is not a religion. It does not obligate anyone to just pick up a copy and read it. It is also in Tagalog, Spanish, French, German and a few other languages.

Read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dianetics.