James's Reviews > Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

May 26, 10

Read from February 17 to May 08, 2010

There's so much to be said for Foundation. We start out with the psychohistorians with their leader Hari Seldon who has predicted a 10,000 year Empire is about to crash to its knees and herald in a new Dark Ages. Hari can't stop the Dark Ages but he can shorten it.

Interestingly he creates a priest class that runs the "nucleonics" of the Foundation, its erstwhile goal of creating an Encyclopedia Galactica set aside by stemming the tide of losing technology.

You see, the Empire is losing its grip on the other sectors of the galaxy. More and more are dividing and becoming their own little kingdoms. The book centers around several characters who, through inside and cleverness, make things happen to keep the Foundation and create an insidious society that keeps it going.

Asimov as an author, I have always been impressed with. His ability to create and predict (micro-miniaturization), parodies and criticism of religion and science, trade and technology, is throughout the book.

Near the end, we find that The Foundation is set to expand. Each chapter stands on its own and can be difficult for some to follow. But each chapter expands decades, some more, and as such can be hard to keep up.

Highly recommended. Not "hard core" sci-fi so much as character-driven sci-fi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation.

03/26/2010 page 25
9.77% "Foundation I am rereading after over 15 or so years. So far so good. On Trantor right now!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Geri  Newman Thanks for the details on this book. I have tried reading this twice in the past and got lost each time. Probably too many mis-understood words. Many have told me this is a fantastic triligy.

James Sure. It's like a running history, with a new main character every few chapters or so. Asimov's imagination was going into overdrive at that time. I read it before many years ago. It's better now!