Leippya's Reviews > Assassin's Apprentice

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Apr 07, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Leippya by: Kaitlynn Plinhe
Recommended for: people who like political fantasy
Read in April, 2008

This is a series I've been afraid to start for a long time, as I've seen people with tastes similar to mine get completely lost in these books. This didn't happen to me...... at first. I have several issues with the beginning of the book. The first is probably that the hero is so young at the beginning, so he is stup... I mean, naive, like all kids his age, but because as a reader we're smart enough AND we know the title of the book, we can see everything coming from a mile away. It's boring. Also, because the style starts by being all description and barely any dialogue, it's very hard to build a feel for the personality of the hero, besides "he stands there and gets insulted and says nothing." I remember reading something along the lines of "Lady Thyme told us to shut up because we were laughing too loud" and stopping there because I just couldn't imagine him laughing. I wished the author has shown the conversation because really, what could he be laughing at? At something normal for a boy his age, or something else?

Then, somewhere between the end of the first quarter of the book and the start of the first third, something changed. I suspect it's because there's more dialogues and more importantly, the hero starts doing things instead of passively being subjected to whatever the other characters want to throw at him. We get a great view inside his mind when he analyses situations and problems -- that guy is smart and has been very well-trained -- and we start to get a good feel for his personality as well. As far as I'm concerned, that's when I started caring and what made me keep thinking about the book at all times.

My conclusion would be that this is definitely a series worth reading. I already have the two following books, but that doesn't prevent me from planning like mad my next trip to the bookshop, to buy the second trilogy. Great, crazy stuff!
23 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Apprentice.

06/24 marked as: read

Megan I felt exactly like you when reading this book. The beginning was very hard to get into but half way through I really started to enjoy it.

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Glad about this!! I'm at 15% right now and willing something good to happen! I will stick with it :)

message 3: by Khadijah (new) - added it

Khadijah Happy I found this review! After seeing all the hype surrounding Fool's Assassin, I had to give this a go. But I'm struggling. It's slowly starting to pick up (enter Chade!) so I am happy to hear it gets better. Will stay with it :)