John Clark's Reviews > Peak Everything: Waking Up to the Century of Declines

Peak Everything by Richard Heinberg

Jan 25, 10

bookshelves: sustainability
Read from January 12 to 22, 2010

In a series of essays, Heinberg calls us to action on various aspects of the problem that our energy addiction is causing and will cause in the near future. Solving this problem is, of course, critical, and Heinberg has a good voice for shedding light on the nature of the problem. I was greatly agitated by the introduction (which is, of course, the point), but the rest of the book seemed less cohesive, although still compelling. The introduction (which I recommend to everyone) is a short and sharp summary of the problem of energy addiction (which generally manifests itself in our discourse as Peak Energy and Climate Change); Heinberg states directly that the book is not meant to go into detail about the problem, for he leaves that task to other books. The rest of the book is interesting and certainly frightening, but it explodes in a dozen different directions. It seems like the book is not meant to stand alone, but is instead a sort of continuation of Heinberg's other books. In addition, the book seems resigned about the problem, and I left it uncertain how to proceed, myself. I may start, however, by trying to complete the picture with his other books, as well as other sources.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peak Everything.

01/12/2010 page 31
13.84% "I just finished the introduction; Heinberg provides a brilliant summary of the clear and present danger that we are facing."
01/14/2010 page 48
21.43% "Humanity is in a superhuman state, augmented by our tools. As the energy they require disappears, so too will our ability to rely on them."
01/18/2010 page 67
29.91% "Heinburg discusses the dangers facing industrialized agriculture; we need more farmers and more decentralized farming."
01/21/2010 page 140
62.5% "Heinberg provides a sensible definition of sustainability that we can build on to make progress."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

John Clark I got a copy of this out of the library, so it's queued up after I finish "Climate Cover-up".

message 2: by John (last edited Jan 13, 2010 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Clark New Society Publishers provides access to the powerful introduction to "Peak Everything" on their website. I strongly recommend this to everyone. It is only 27 pages long, so I don't think it's too much to ask of anyone.