Judy's Reviews > A Separate Country

A Separate Country by Robert Hicks

Jan 05, 10

I really liked The Widow of the South and was excited when I saw that Robert Hicks had published a new book. This book does not disappoint. Set in New Orleans in the Reconstruction South, Confederate General John Bell Hood is trying to reinvent himself, deal with the demons of the Civil War, and rescue his reputation. Hood, for whom the Texas Army base is named, was a tragic and extremely controversial commander in the Confederate Army. He lost the use of his left arm because of wounds received at the Battle of Gettsburg and his right leg was amputated after the Battle of Chickamauga. Moving to New Orleans after the war, he married Anna Marie Hennen, a Creole society beauty, and had 11 children, including three sets of twins in ten years. In New Orleans, Hood and his wife have to deal with the corruption of the Reconstruction period, the intricate politics of New Orleans while also facing business failures, outbreaks of yellow fever, old scores, old friends, and numerous attempts at redemption. I highly recommend this book. I couldn't put it down.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Separate Country.