Betsy's Reviews > The Last Days of Dogtown

Jan 13, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Recommended for: anyone who enjoyed The Red Tent
Read in January, 2009

What a fabulous first read for 2010! Having read The Red Tent, I really enjoy Anita Diamant's work. This was no exception. Once again Diamant transports us to a time and place where many people have difficulty imagining life and explains in brilliance and clarity the nature of human spirit in a tangible, reach-out-and-touch-the-people kind of way. The characters are true to life and I found myself matching my friends' and family's faces to the characters. I feel Diamant really delved into giving backstory for nearly every character introduced. My absolute favorite was Easter, and I feel nearly everyone has an "Easter" in their life- the short girl with the golden giggle who truly defines the meaning of a loyal friend.

My only regret is the feeling it ended too soon. I would have liked a "bigger" ending. Whether I wasn't ready for it to end or whether the author took a slightly cliche "out" at the end is up for debate. Maybe we suffered from a little of both.

Coincidentally, I happened to discover Ella Fitzgerald singing "Betwitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" at the time I was reading this and to be it seemed to encapsulate the feelings between Judy Rhines and her mysterious lover. No spoilers here. You'll just have to read it yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Days of Dogtown.

01/06/2010 page 17