Buggy's Reviews > Elizabeth's Wolf

Elizabeth's Wolf by Lora Leigh

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: shelf-09, paranormal-rom, extra-sexy-time, tortured-hero, weretastic, men-in-uniform-af-spc-op
Read in April, 2009 — I own a copy

Opening Line: "The letter came at a time in his life when the battle inside his soul could have tipped either way."

Now this is the Lora Leigh that made me a fan. Erotic romance at its best; Steamy, graphic love scenes mixed with action and suspense. Written in 2004 (when she still used an editor and cared) and before her storylines became repetitive, ridiculous and made sense.

ELIZABETH'S WOLF was my first Breed book and even though its the forth in the series, stands alone just fine and had me captured from the very beginning.

Dash Sinclair is a wolf/human hybrid created in a secret lab from which he managed to escape as a teenager. Growing up alone and on the streets without friends or family Dash eventually finds himself in the military where he is trained to kill. After a horrific helicopter explosion in the Middle East that kills his entire unit Dash is slowly recovering in hospital when his commanding officer begins reading letters to him from a young girl back in the states.

She is Cassie Colder and something about her letters calls to him, something about the girl and her widowed mother makes him feel possessive and protective almost immediately, forcing him to recover faster from his life threatening injuries. When the letters abruptly stop Dash learns that Cassie and her mother Elizabeth have perished in a fire. In his heart he doesn't believe this to be true and hires a private detective to look into their situation. Learning that the two are actually on the run from the twisted, evil man known as Grange, Dash makes it his personal mission to protect them and claim them as his own. His mate and his child.

Months later Dash tracks down Elizabeth and Cassie and rescues them from another would be attacker. Cassie accepts him immediately but Elizabeth although fascinated is weary because she hasn't been able to trust anyone in a long time and those that have helped her in the past have died in the process. Having no choice however, Elizabeth allows herself to be rescued by Dash who whisks them away to a safe house where they can all begin to heal and recover. As Dash learns more about why Grange really wants Cassie his worst fears are realized but as Elizabeth comes to trust and love him he also knows that he will stop at nothing to protect what is now his.

Even though our heroes don't make love until nearly halfway through the book this is one hot read. Dash tells Elizabeth from the beginning that when she's ready he will have her and she accepts this knowing that there is no way to fight the growing attraction she feels towards this gorgeous alpha male. Ultimately the anticipation, the knowing looks, and gentle caresses, the reader foreplay is almost hotter than the actual act.

The sex scenes are graphic and so explicit that at times I was uncomfortable. And the "c" word and "cat" word are used repetitively. Still this is a good, strong story full of action, intensity and family bonds. Dash's loneliness is heartbreaking but Elizabeth's character is written strong, she is a worthy mate who completes him. The scenes between Dash and the precocious Cassie are also well written and very sweet. Several breed characters (I'm assuming from past books) turn up for the exciting climax which comes together rather abruptly and finishes too quickly even though all the loose ends are tied up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth's Wolf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Auntee Nice review, J Bug.:)
This was one of my 'Breeds' favorites.

Buggy Thanks Auntee, I've got to get reading the rest of the series because the latest 'Lions Heat' sounds goood.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva This is one of my favorites of the series, but Dawn's Awakening is number 1 for me.

Buggy I haven't read that one yet UMD, good to know though its on the shelf :)

Buggy I just grabbed it out from my HUGE TBR shelf. Will it matter that the only other Breed book I"ve read is Liz's Wolf?? Or should I read more in the series before attempting this?

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Read a couple more, just to be safe. There are so many players in DA, that if you don't, you'll be lost.
You'll want to know about Seth and Dawn's past, but I can't recall which book that's covered in. Was it Elizabeth's Wolf? Hmmm.... If you love the series and know you'll keep reading it, then I'd wait.

In truth, there are so many players in so many books that I tend to get lost anyway.

Buggy Thanks UMD I always get lost in LL books too. I've read her EliteOps/Tempting Seals and can never keep everyone straight.

Dawn's Awakening is listed as Breeds #14(I just checked) and they're all out under different publishers, some very hard to get So I don't know how I'll ever read them in order. Somehow after a couple I don't think it will matter too much LOL

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva What you can do if you want to is start with Megan's Mark, which some people call book 1, depending on publishers. LOL It's really quite screwy.

If you're ok ignoring names and stuff, you might be ok just reading it. For me, the main thing was Seth and Dawn's relationship which was both heart warming and heart breaking. It's not that he treated her badly, it's just the circumstances surrounding all Breeds and the nightmares they lived through in the labs.

Jennifer I would start the books from the first one in the series. They get better and better. Dawn's Awakening and Mercury's War are my favorite. Go to her website and you can get a list in order. That's what I did. She's one of my favorite authors.....

Buggy Thanks for your help UMD and Jennifer. I looked up (and printed)the complete reading order for the series and was able to get book#1(Tempting the Beast)as an ebook then I'll probably be skipping to, (as UMD says) Meghans Mark, Harmony's way etc because I have these already as MM PB.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva You're welcome! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think!

Maria Aguilar I really love your review cause you took the words right out of my mouth on how I feel about this book and I also agree that this is my favorite book so far of the Breed series. Maybe is because Dash is part wolf and I love wolf.

Buggy Thanks so much Maria. I have only read a couple others from The Breed series but this one remains my favorite. I agree too, out of all the shifters the wolf is my fav!

Maria Aguilar Glad to know someone else share my interest with wolf. I hope that the other Wolf Breed novel are as good as this one.