Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)'s Reviews > Silver Phoenix

Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon

Mar 07, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, ya, 2009-clc, debut-2009, own, socal-author, signed-copy
Read in March, 2010

This book has several of the qualities that I look for in a really good book. First, it captured me right from the beginning. It didn't require pages before I was fully engaged. Second, I read it in nearly one sitting not wanting to put it down and when I had to I really wanted to come back to it. Third, I loved the characters. The characters you are suppose to love you love and the ones you are suppose to hate you hate. And guess what...many of the adults in the story are respectfully written. Wow! Fourth, I loved that it was different from a lot of stories out there currently. Since the book was set in China and uses Chinese/Asian mysticism and doesn't have vampires, werewolves, and faeries, it was a nice change. However, all the fantasy, paranormal aspects are there. Fifth, (you can tell I really liked this book) Pon did an incredible job create a very vivid and real world setting. Sixth, I loved that Ai Ling - the main female character - is a strong, smart girl is isn't silly or running into things willy nilly. I loved how she learns about her abilities and how they develop over the course of the story.

I could just go on and on about this book but I won't. I will say if you haven't read it go read it. And I wish I could have given it a 4.5 instead of a 4. I don't want to give away an ending spoiler but that was where I was most frustrated. It didn't have the closure I wanted it and I hope that is because there will be a sequel. Someone please tell me that there will be a sequel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Phoenix.