Scott's Reviews > The Espressologist

The Espressologist by Kristina Springer

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: 2010, first-half-of-2010, older-teens, realistic, young-adult-books, younger-teens
Read in January, 2010

This could be a toss-up between a 3 or 4 star book. It's not really my venti cup of chai-tea latte. But it's also not "not really my venti cup of chai-tea latte." That is to say, I am sort of a sucker for romantic comedy that isn't to overly cutesy or girly. This is a little cutesy and a little girly, but not too much of either. In fact, it's its cuteness that ultimately won me over.

Essentially, the book relies heavily on a gimmick (its main character’s ability to match coffee drinkers based on their drink of choice.) But Kristina Springer doesn’t overstay her welcome with the cutesy gimmick, and she also makes it (and her characters use of it) seem plausible. It’s not a stretch to see something like this taking place in a bigger city. And the character’ view of how people are come off as believable. She’s not some world-wise teen who has seen it all, but she’s also not totally vapid. There’s a nice balance created in the character, which makes her a believable teenage heroine.

That isn’t to say that this is the greatest book I’ve ever read. It’s not. It’s a fluffy, by-the-numbers teen romance. Those looking for something with a little more substance, should probably look somewhere else. But those looking for a light, clever read with strong characters should spend the hour or two this one takes, and just enjoy themselves for a bit.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Espressologist.