Margaret's Reviews > The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time

The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams

Jan 05, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-and-science-fiction, humor, essays, authors-ab
Read in December, 2003, read count: 1

I resisted reading this for a long time because I was under the misapprehension that it was merely a presentation of the sections of the Dirk Gently novel Adams was working on until his untimely death in 2001. Having seen multiple references to it in Neil Gaiman's excellent Hitchhiker's companion, Don't Panic, I finally broke down and got it from the library, and I was glad that I did.

The last third of the book does indeed contain the unfinished Salmon of Doubt, but that was to my mind the least interesting part of the book and could (and perhaps should) have been left out. Adams didn't yet know where he was going with it, and in fact, he was apparently thinking of changing it from a Dirk Gently novel to one set in the Hitchhiker's universe. The first two-thirds of the book comprise many different writings by Adams on topics ranging from computers (his beloved Macintoshes) to how to make tea to his atheism, as well as speeches, letters, and interviews with Adams. It's really an eye-opening look at the wide-ranging intellect and knowledge that underlies the seeming frivolity and true hilarity of his books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Salmon of Doubt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell That is the book which taught me how to make a proper cup of tea. I photocopied that page and had it taped to my kitchen wall above the stove for a long time. //sniffles