Nicole's Reviews > The Summer Book

The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: scandinavian, classics, favorites
Read in January, 2010

This is a quiet watercolor of a book. 'The Summer Book' takes place on a small island in the Gulf of Finland and sketches out scenes from the life of Sophia, a bright and tempestuous six year old who has lost her mother, and her paternal grandmother who is watching over her while Sophia's father attends to other matters. While there is no overarching plot excepting Sophia's coping with the death of her mother and her grandmother's graceful drifting towards the end of her own life, each chapter contains a microcosm of a story as the island's inhabitants go about their days. Things are gained and lost, happenings occur that momentarily alter the world of the island's three inhabitants, but in the end, all return to their comfortable equilibrium. 'The Summer Book' is by turns thoughtful, playful, contemplative, angry, sad and beautiful. It is a simple and elegant portrayal of summertime and family without glamor or sentimentality, but still with warmth at its core. I have decided to give it to my own grandmother for her 90th birthday coming up this month, and I hope she will enjoy it as much as I did.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Book.

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Your reviews are stunning.

message 2: by Nicole (last edited Jan 13, 2010 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole Susan wrote: "Your reviews are stunning." Thanks! You should read Julie's--she's linked on my 'friends' list. Her reviews are downright New York Times quality. I still have a long way to go.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie What a beautiful thing to say, Nicole. Thank you! And I agree with Susan- your reviews are stunning- so poetic and thoughtful.