Jeff Stockett's Reviews > Arguing with Idiots: How to Stop Small Minds and Big Government

Arguing with Idiots by Glenn Beck

Jan 13, 10

bookshelves: political
Read in January, 2010

I thought this book was excellent. The title is a little put-offish so I wouldn't have read it except that I saw it in a bookstore and thumbed through it out of curiosity. When I saw the various charts and figures as well as the various humorous cartoons I decided to give it a try.

In case you're worried that the book is just about bashing democrats it really isn't. In his introduction he explains that there are idiots on both sides of the aisle and that for the purposes of this book, idiots are simply those who don't think regardless of party affiliation. The book is written as sort of a dialogue with one such idiot.

I've read some other reviews that say that Beck is just building up a straw man to tear down. While it is true that no one person makes all of the idiotic arguments that he refutes, they are all arguments that are out there. I have heard many of the arguments while arguing with actual idiots. So I would disagree that it is a straw man. If you disagree with some of his points and are offended that your particular argument wasn't covered, remember the book isn't called "Arguing with people who use facts and sound logic." Although that would be an excellent sequel. :) Even as someone who agrees with him on 95% of his points, I will admit that during my reading there were a few times that I thought he left out an argument. But that didn't bother me, because the power in this book is not that he "won" the debate with his fictional idiot. The power is that he uses sound logic that is backed by facts. His list of sources is exhaustive and would provide a massive amount of reading to anyone who doubts what he says.

In short, I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to understand today's issues better while simultaneously getting a few laughs.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arguing with Idiots.