Kimberly's Reviews > Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage

Two-Part Invention by Madeleine L'Engle

F_50x66
Feb 18, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Kimberly by: several friends
I own a copy

This is the fourth volume in an autobiographical series written by Madeleine L'Engle. I was told that it could be read independently of the other volumes. It is an absolutely lovely book. In the first part she recounts some of her early years and also her courtship with the man who was to become her husband. The second part consists of reflections on her marriage and on trials, as she and her husband face a difficult situation. I'd give the second half of the book five stars. I'm glad I bought a copy, as there were many passages that I marked. I'll include a few of them here, although they are not as meaningful out of context.

"God comes where there is pain and brokenness, waiting to heal, even if the healing is not the physical one we hope for."

"And I heard myself saying, 'I do not believe that true optimism can come about except through tragedy.' Sometimes so casually is revelation given."

"We must not run into false guilt over all this. In our own fumbling, totally human ways we are doing the best that we can. It is not good enough. But we are not saints or angels, but ordinary people fumbling to love, falling over our own helplessness and frustration."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two-Part Invention.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Does the #4 mean it is part of a series that should begin at one?