Brion Salazar's Reviews > Gone, Baby, Gone

Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane

2063847
Jan 14, 10

Read in January, 2010

After having watched the film adaptation of this book as well as Mystic River, I was very interested to read some of Dennis Lehane's work. I was not disappointing. This book is very similar to the film, but as with most novel's much deeper in it's content.

While working on the very familiar basis of the crime genre, Lehane is able to weave something unique with his very human and faulty characters as they trespass through the dark and untidy underbelly of Boston.

At times this was actually a difficult book to continue reading because of the terrible and horrific events that are at once both a complete mystery in how they could be allowed to happen, yet all-too-familiar to anyone that reads the paper or watches their local news.

Dealing with the all too common occurrence of a child's kidnapping, Lehane delves deep into the questions of what it means to be a parent from both a societal and personal level.

Afterward I was left questioning my beliefs on both how we treat our children as a society as well as how I raise my own children to ensure that they are strong enough to deal with the world I have brought them into.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone, Baby, Gone.

01/05/2010 page 76