Beth's Reviews > The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology

The New Dead by Christopher Golden

Jan 05, 2010

bookshelves: zombies, horror, short-stories, read-in-2010
Read from June 10 to 25, 2010

As with all short story collections, this one had both hits and misses. I really enjoyed the following:

Lazarus by John Connolly - Interesting concept that Lazarus was really a zombie.

Life Sentence by Kelley Armstrong - I liked how the main character was searching for eternal life, and in the end, he got it - but at a price. The story had a nice twist at the end, and I think he got exactly what he deserved. (He turns into a zombie and can't die, and his assistant releases other zombies on him since he was such an ass.)

Family Business by Jonathan Maberry - So this zombie story made me cry and I think Maberry is an excellent writer. I see he's turning this into a YA novel, so I'm excited to read it.

The Storm Door by Tad Williams - I like the zombie concept in this one, that zombies are just demons who inhabit the bodies of newly dead people. I was reading this one at like 3 am and it scared the crap out of me.

Twittering from the Circus of the Dead by Joe Hill - Classic, creepy zombie story. Even in Twitter form, Joe Hill is an awesome writer.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Dead.