Pixie's Reviews > Running with Scissors

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

Nov 01, 07

Recommended for: no one
Read in November, 2007

I quit reading this book halfway through. Like I read in another review, he's a bit of a David Sedaris wannabe. There's sort of a dark, absurd humor going on. I think he thinks he's being "light" by treating the subject matter "lightly," and sometimes it works. (I actually love David Sedaris, by the way, but I prefer listening to him over reading him.). As opposed to Mr. Sedaris, this guy gets really vulgar, offensive, and disgusting. It's all in the name of "art" I suppose, but I'm pretty tolerant and found it to be really objectionable. There are ways of getting your point across without hitting people over the head with repulsive details over... and over... and over...

I've never quit reading a book before because I found it offensive. Congratulations to this guy.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with Scissors.

message 1: by Karyn (new)

Karyn ugh. I wasted an hour and half of my life watching the movie which I thought would be like American Beauty or something similarly poignant. Nothing redeeming in his characters (which are sadly based on himself and his family). Glad to know that the book and movie are bff.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Potter I told my brother that you were reading this. He said, "I wonder if she'll make it to the end." He is also very open minded but he grimaced when I even mentioned the title.

Pixie Yeah, I'm kind of a dummy. I only read it because I had nothing else in my lineup, and there it was in the 25c bin at the library, and I'd "heard of it." I had even heard the movie was disappointing, but didn't assume that meant the book was disappointing (movies from books often are), and went ahead and picked it up without reading any reviews or descriptions at all. Last time I do that.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Potter Oh I don't think that's dumb. Some of the best books I've read are ones that I had no clue about! I like it that way sometimes.