April's Reviews > The Last Surgeon

The Last Surgeon by Michael Palmer

Jan 21, 10

Read in January, 2010

Mesmerizingly seductive in its intense psychological ploys, The Last Surgeon is a book that will grab the reader from the beginning, twisting itself within the reader's mind and not letting go until the very last page. Author, Michael Palmer, takes a glimpse into the world of "what-ifs" and brings the possibilities of the unthinkable to life. In this day and age, where technology is virtually infinite, the possibilities are endless, especially within the realm of terrorism, cover-ups and government secrecy.

The Last Surgeon takes such possibilities and brings them to life, within the pages and story of Dr. Nick Garrity and Jillian Coates. Two complete strangers, connected in a way that will soon be brought to light and change lives forever.

Without conscience or morals, a hired killer, who has honed his ability to exercise and carry out the perfect "non-kill", is striking people dead within the medical profession, in a seemingly unconnected way. Jillian seeks out Nick, after being told that her sister has committed suicide, a fact that Jillian refuses to believe. For some reason, Nick's name is written all over Dr. Nick Fury comic books, within her sister's belongings. This leads to her search and discovery of Nick and the realization that the nickname of Dr. Nick Fury was given to him by his best friend, who has been missing for the past four years. Could the two be connected in some way and if so how and why?

As pieces of the puzzle begin to fall into place, more murders are playing out, murders that look like suicide. The killer stalks his prey and delves within them, able to take lives in a horrible way that leaves no questions asked by police or authorities. Who will be his next victim and will Jillian and Nick be able to figure out exactly what is going on and why before it is too late?

The Last Surgeon is an intense ride that will leave readers flying through pages. Michael Palmer is a master of characterization, plots and thrills. I knew that I was going to be hooked within the story at the prologue, when Mr. Palmer's writing was actually able to make me feel the pain and agony emanating from Belle's voic,e as she watches the killer torture her sister, Jillian. The visuals that Mr. Palmer was able to instill within my mind, as I read, were remarkable and made me feel as though I was right there throughout the story. In addition, the story is tight, the characters well developed and the ending was perfect with all ends tied together.

This is actually the first work by Michael Palmer that I have had the pleasure to read and I anxiously look forward to reading more. For anyone who loves medical thrillers, or a great story of suspense and thrills, I highly recommend The Last Surgeon. It is sure to keep you up long into the night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Surgeon.

01/07/2010 page 55
14.75% "Loving it!"
01/18/2010 page 384
100% "Review coming soon"
show 3 hidden updates…