Anne's Reviews > Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe

F 50x66
Jan 05, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in May, 2007

Bill Bryson is the funniest modern travel writer around. If you like sarcasm, exquisite hyperbole, and engaging narrative, get your hands on one of his books immediately.

This was written in 1990, so it has aged some, but I loved it because that was the year that I last spent extended time in Europe. I have not been to all the cities or countries which Bryson visited, but of those which I have visited, he got the feel of the places absolutely spot on. His descriptions of Rome and Florence, for example, are absolutely perfect. My most favorite part is where Bryson describes Roman drivers: "I love the way the Italians park. You turn any street corner in Rome and it looks as if you've just missed a parking competition for blind people....Romans park their cars the way I would park if I had just spilled a beaker of hydrocloric acid on my lap."

This book has more vulgar language than in his other books which I've read (those contained essentially none), and that is a little off-putting. However, the rest of it is enormously entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neither Here nor There.