Linda's Reviews > Making Mischief: A Maurice Sendak Appreciation

Making Mischief by Gregory Maguire

Jan 05, 2010

bookshelves: art
Read in October, 2009

In his tribute to the art of Maurice Sendak, Gregory Maguire has captured beautifully the mischievous, imaginative and fantasy world of this fascinating artist/author whose work spans five decades.

Ella Fitzgerald once said, “I stole everything I ever heard, but mostly I stole from the horns.” The words remind me of Sendak as well. I think it is interesting to see how Sendak's genius was inspired by the works of artists before him: Albrecht Durer, Randolph Caldecott, William Blake, Hans Tegner, Winslow Homer. It is interesting to see another person's work and where/how the transformation into making something one's own takes place. In the same way, Sendak's work becomes an inspiration for others.

My introduction to Maurice Sendak was in the 70's and 80's as I read his illustrated children's books to my own children. A highlight was traveling to Seattle in December 1983 to attend Tchaikovsky’s holiday ballet The Nutcracker, set and costume design by Sendak. His work is a fixture in my household - I bought Maguire's tribute to Sendak as a Christmas gift for one of my children but then the book promptly disappeared when gift-wrapping time came around. Recently rediscovered in plain sight, the gift-giving will have to wait for another Christmas to roll around ... and in the meantime I will enjoy the fantastical, sometimes scary world of this incredible artist.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Mischief.