Mike's Reviews > The Problems of Philosophy

The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell

Jan 28, 10

bookshelves: philosophy
Read in January, 2010

A fantastic and lucidly written primer on the major endeavors, or problems, that philosophy not only presents but also attempts to explain. Russell is brilliant at intertwining the language of philosophy with common terminology and poignant examples that are easily understood by all. I would highly recommend reading this book if you have any desire to start studying philosophy or any curiosity at all regarding philosophical aims. It would also make a great apologia, of sorts, for anyone who might question why one would study the philosophy at all. And while this book is by no means a thorough accounting of every possible facet of philosophy (it is after all barely over 100 pages), it is well written enough to entertain even a learned student of the subject.

One thing I must point out about the edition that I read is that it is horribly edited. I purchased the “Barnes and Noble” copy of this book, and there several glaring typos and misused words, such as “diner” instead of “finer” (I kid you not). I would recommend finding a copy by a more esteemed publishing house or more scrupulous editor.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problems of Philosophy.

01/05/2010 page 9
01/07/2010 page 17
14.66% "At this point, I pretty certain that I do exist... regardless of whether or not you are reading this."
01/07/2010 page 17
14.66% "At this point, I pretty certain that you do exist... regardless of whether or not you are reading this."
01/07/2010 page 17
14.66% "At this point, I am fairly certain that you do exist... regardless of whether or not you are reading this."
01/27/2010 page 115