Blair Conrad's Reviews > Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World

Things That Make Us (Sic) by Martha Brockenbrough

Jan 05, 10

bookshelves: grammar, nonfiction, library
Read in March, 2009

First off, there were a few more spelling/grammatical/copyediting errors than I’d’ve hoped in such a work. Worse, some came along fairly early, before the author had built up any karma.

That being said, overall the book is entertaining, educational, and funny. There are a few sections that devolve into laundry lists of terms or rules, but for the most part, the knowledge imparted is interesting. I enjoyed the letters that SPOGG has sent out to various personalities (including Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth II). Some of the examples were more risqué than I’m used to in a grammar-related book, but all the more memorable for that.

Acid test – I was reviewing a document at work today and thought, “What would Martha Brockenrough say about this construction?” so points gained there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things That Make Us (Sic).