Buggy's Reviews > Dark Harvest

Dark Harvest by Lynda Hilburn

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: shelf-09, paranormal-rom, vampalicious
Read in April, 2009 — I own a copy

Opening Line: "Top o' the morning guys and gals, and welcome to "Wake up Denver"! WOW Radio's top-rated talk show."

Dr. Kismit Knight returns in this great sequel to The Vampire Shrink continuing her witty adventures into the world of vampires, the paranormal and magic.

It's been six months since Kismit began her relationship with the 800 year old gorgeous vampire known as Devereux. Although still very much in love with him (and the sex is still awesome too) Kismit is becoming increasingly frustrated by his over protectiveness and domineering manner. Devereux after all is the "master" vampire and used to getting his way. He in turn is having to adjust to her modern ideas and self-suffciency.

Kismit's life has been relatively normal of late even though she continues to counsel the undead and adapt to her new role as an expert on things of the paranormal. During a live radio interview an on air caller named Hallow claiming to be a vampire even older and more powerful than Devereux, casts a spell over Kismit and enters her mind. This is when the story really takes off. Refusing to acknowledge Devereux's warning about Hallow's evil nature and needing her space Kismit teams up with Maxie, a tabloid reporter who manages to drag her into all manner of trouble while searching for that one juicy story. Hallow meanwhile begins to take greater control over Kismit's mind, in turn causing her to exhibit a more uninhibited side of herself. As Kismit becomes possessed by her sexy alter ego Dev realizes what's happening and casts several spells in an effort to bring his true love back to him but Hallow is powerful and believes Kismit would make a welcome addition to his harem.

This is a great read; sexy, thrilling and with Kismit's own brand of sarcastic wit throughout. There are a couple of impossibly sexy yet bloody fight scenes as Devereux tries to save Kismit and destroy the wicked Hallow. There's also a great supporting cast of characters including the return of self absorbed ex-boyfriend Tom who has an outlandish request that will potentially land him a job on TV doing live sex counselling. Victoria the resident witch who manages Devereux's building returns as does Luna, Dev's personal assistant who still has it in for Kismit. Although we do finally learn why. Hallow as an antagonist is equal parts sexy, funny and pure evil and I really enjoyed him.

Containing far more magic, spells and psychic connections than the VAMPIRE SHRINK, DARK HARVEST is a great ride and I enjoyed it almost as much as the first book although as a whole it was slightly darker and in my opinion not quite as funny. This series is developing well however and Kismit and Devereux's love story hasn't been wrapped up quite yet which makes me hopeful for the third book in this great series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Harvest.

message 1: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 28, 2010 09:41PM) (new) - added it

Bookwatcher Hummmm.... I don't known what to do.
I didn't like very much the first... didn't dislike neither... hard to explain! Love some parts, and get a lot annoyed by her narration in others.
I'm a little in doubt if the second is worth! What you say? Should I read it? (maybe I'll... kindle edition at $6.89. A low price as this attract me!)

Buggy I think that if you didn't really enjoy the first one then you definetly won't like this one. Its not as good as the Vamp Shrink and I din't enjoy it as much so that should tell you that you won't like it at all.

Bookwatcher Buggy wrote: "I think that if you didn't really enjoy the first one then you definetly won't like this one."

ok! Thanks for your advice!

Buggy Welcome :)

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Hmmm...I gotta say I'd never heard of this series before your review popped up on my updates today.

Great review - whaddaya think - should I try the first one?

Buggy Hey Tamster, I LOVED the first book =5 big stars The Vampire Shrink it was hilarious and sexy however it seems not everyone agreed with me. I would love to say yes but wouldn't want to be responsible for a bad recommendation
I wrote a review for it

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant I'll go check out your review -- thanks!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane Hi Buggy! Excellent review. Do you think I would like The Vampire Shrink? I just started reading Show No Mercy (Black Ops, #1) by Cindy Gerard by the way and it's really good.

message 9: by Buggy (last edited Feb 06, 2012 11:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy Hey Jennifer, hows everything? You're reading another one of my all time favorite series. I fell for Gabe big time(literary boyfriend top 5) Loved the ending to this one; its over, its not over, holy crap really that happens! Awesome series. I keep meaning to reread it.

Oh, LOL and then there's Johnny Dwayne Reed. Wait till you get a load of him, he has a huge fan base here and most of us agree he looks like Sawyer from Lost.

...Oh right the Vampire Shrink, well like I told Tammy I really, really liked it but it seems to be one of those books that you either love or hate, so?????

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane Hey Buggy, I've been busy managing two careers and generally loving life.

Gabe is certainly something special but are you saying there will be a cliffhanger at the end? :o How many books are in this series at this point?

message 11: by Buggy (last edited Feb 09, 2012 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy Busy girl Jennifer, good for you.

No, No cliffhanger but it takes a while to get to their HEA and then...something surprising and sad happens. ( I have to read this one again)

There are 7 awesome books in the series. The 7th just came out last week and its the last.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane How sad the series has just ended! But I'm happy to have six awesome books ahead of me.

Buggy Enjoy the series Jennifer