Buggy's Reviews > Back from Africa

Feb 08, 10

bookshelves: shelf-09, bio-memoir, virtual-vacation, adventure
Read in April, 2009 — I own a copy

BACK IN THE BIG WHITE WORLD

The first book in this series (The White Masai) is a 5 star, absolutely fascinating read. I would also recommend the follow-up (Reunion In Barsaloi). BACK FROM AFRICA however just feels like filler. There's not really enough interesting material here to warrant a third book and except for the first few chapters and the details of her climbing Mt Kilimanjaro I found it disappointing.

This third instalment deals with the time immediately after she leaves her Masai husband Lketinga and after fleeing Kenya with her young daughter Napirai, returns to Switzerland to start a new life.

Initially Corinne struggles with lingering health issues (malaria, hepatitis) and has trouble integrating back into modern society. (Do we really need all this stuff?) However as her health and self confidence returns she finds a job in sales, moves into her own apartment, makes friends in a single woman's group and faces government bureaucracy while getting her daughters birth certificate and filling for divorce. All the while maintaining contact with her brother in-law, James in Africa and mourning her failed marriage. With encouragement from her friends Corinne eventually writes the story of her love affair with Lketinga and gets "The White Masai" published. A large part of the book is dedicated to her success and travels while promoting her book. In the last few chapters Corinne finds a new love partner and returns to Africa to daringly climb Mt Kilimanjaro.

It should also be noted that Back From Africa has been translated from German so the writing does not always flow as smoothly as I'm sure it did in it's original language.

I wouldn't recommend this unless you've already read The White Masai.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back from Africa.