Ridan's Reviews > Quarter Share

Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell

Jan 04, 2010

Recommended for: people who enjoy rich settings/characters but not a lot of "action"
Read in January, 2010

What a wonderfully refreshing story. This book is unlike anything I've ever read...no warring planets, aliens, mutants, or the like. It is a simple and yet engrossing tale of a boy coming of age and finding a new life in the depths of space after the untimely death of his mother.

Nathan Lowell's prose is supurb. I found myself "wisked along" and for a first time author displays writing techniques usually only found by experienced masters. Time after time I was caught by simple sentences that revealed so much with such an economy of words. For instance when entering the Union Hall he describes the smell of the "industrial floor wax."

The world Lowell creates is 100% believable and filled with details that don't bog down the story but instead immerse you into a setting that is vivid and tactile.

I'm a huge fan of Horatio Hornblower and there are nods to Forester as well as Two Years Before the Mast. It feels like the age when ships would keep sailors away from familar places for months on end and where loyalty and friendships help to form the bonds between people who are forced to rely on one another.

I will certainly go on to listen (only in audio at this time) the other books in this series and will look forward to adding this to my print libary in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quarter Share.