Amy's Reviews > A Wish After Midnight

Jan 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: amazon-vine, time-travel, young-adult, 2010-books-read
Read from January 23 to 28, 2010

This story has an interesting premise. Okay. I have to admit time travel of any sort is an interesting premise in my world. Like Octavia Butler's Kindred, this novel has its protagonists of distant African heritage traveling back in time to Civil-War-period New York. However, I was very put off by the attitudes of the characters in the book because, even in modern times, they harp constantly on being oppressed and segregated because of the color of their skin when, quite frankly, they are choosing with every action to segregate themselves. I thought that certainly their time traveling trip to the Civil-War-era would show them the true meaning of oppression, but no such thing happened. In fact, the characters almost seemed happier in the past. Perhaps their oppression was real rather than imagined and they felt more comfortable there? I didn't find the characters to be very likable or the love relationship to be one that I hoped to see prosper. It was an okay read but not one I can see myself actually recommending to anyone.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wish After Midnight.

01/23/2010 page 100
40.98% "Extremely race-driven. It's as if these characters' every waking thought is that they're African American." 2 comments