Nikki's Reviews > The Capture

The Capture by Katherine Applegate

Jan 04, 10

bookshelves: children-s-and-ya, speculative-fiction
Read in January, 2010

Oh, gross, the one with the roaches and the flies, and the Yeerk in Jake's head. That's really the most interesting thing about this book: getting a glimpse of the Yeerks from the inside, in a way. Jake learning all about the Yeerk as he dies. It's one good way, along with having an Andalite on the team, to have them learn about the enemy, another good way for them to learn what to do. And something like this was bound to happen sooner or later, and sooner or later it'd have to be dealt with.

The other interesting thing about this is Tom, and the Animorphs' concern not to hurt him, and their carefulness in trying not to have him hurt. And the bit at the end, where Jake slightly morphs into a wolf to change the sound of his voice, and tells Tom to hold on, knowing the real Tom can hear it... Lovely.

Ultimately it still feels like the Animorphs are fighting a losing battle. They manage to prevent one or two or a hundred people from becoming Controllers, but nothing they do stops the Controllers completely -- they can just set up another Yeerk pool in that same hospital, after all. And they don't seem to recognise the futility -- not even Ax, who knows more than any of them. That's a little frustrating. Though, of course, if they sat around and despaired, they'd get nothing done, and that wouldn't be any more helpful.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Capture.

message 1: by Hollis (new)

Hollis You should write 'The Cambridge Campanion to Animorphs': I think you know more about it than anyone.

Nikki Doubt it -- I know people who've read all of them!

message 3: by Hollis (new)

Hollis Really? How many are there?

Nikki Of the Animorphs books? Over 60, I think.

People who've read all of them? Two.

message 5: by Hollis (new)

Hollis Over 60? Goodness, I didn't know there were that many. How is the snow affecting your lectures at Cardiff, by the way? I think pretty much all the major roads into Southampton have been closed off, so it looks like I won't be able to get in for a while (assuming any of the lecturers would bother going if I did).

Nikki The new semester hasn't started yet, so no lectures anyway. Exams start on Monday, don't know how many people are going to be able to make it...

Weathervane They do recognize the futility, actually -- remember the bit where Jake is telling the Yeerk that humans keep fighting, even when winning is impossible?

Agree with you about Ax, though. He kind of took a backseat in this book.

Nikki Hm, I'm not sure exactly what I referred to when I wrote the review -- I think I meant that there's no reference to the fact that the Yeerks can easily just set up another Yeerk pool. I don't recall that being mentioned.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I read this book as a young teenager and was struck then by the futility of the fight. I thought and thought about it and figured out what I guessed would be the end of the series . . . except it wasn't. I still wonder if my ending would have been better.

Basically, seeing into the enemy's head made me realize that either they need to kill EVERY yeerk, which seemed unethical, or else the yeerks are going to keep coming so they can experience life outside the pool. But, what if the Andalites actually gave them morphing technology in a very controlled setting? The deal is, you can morph into anything you want and then you are restrained for (is it three hours?) however long it takes to stick. That way, every yeerk can turn into something else permanently without enslaving anyone, and go home. The ones who refused the bargain would have to die. I did wonder then how reproduction would work for the yeerks after they morph. Can Tobias, for example, mate with a hawk? What if he met another human hawk? Would the offspring be intelligent?

I probably think too much. Hahaha.

Nikki I had a lot of ideas about how it should end. I should get round to reading the real ending! In any case, now you've got me wondering the same things as you.