Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > City of Fallen Angels

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

May 05, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal-and-supernatural, series, ya-fiction
Read from April 12 to May 05, 2011 — I own a copy

Oh how I wanted to like this more. I tried, I really tried, but something is just missing this time around. It's taken me a while to figure it out, but I think I figured out what it was..

So, it's two months after the epic finale of City of Glass. Valentine is dead. The Mortal War is over. Everything is all rainbows and sunshine, right? Nope. Someone is out killing Shadowhunters, Clary and Jace are acting all CW-y, and Simon's new Mark of Cain rune is painting a bit of a target on his... well, forehead.

This is all fine and great. I loved the return of my favorite characters, but something about this outing of the series, like I said before, just feels off. Simon is still as croud-pleasingly amusing as always, the well known snide banter the series is known for is here, you just have to wait longer for its payoff. Mostly, though, everyone feels like they're just moping around, waiting for some bad guy to pop up. Oh wait, that's the plot of the book. Sorry, spoiler.

But, in all seriousness, that's the main problem here. Nothing. Happens. It reads as some really better-than-average-but-still-not-as-good fan fiction written by a rabid recluse fan-girl than Clare herself. The first 320 pages are more barren than the main antagonist's ovaries, and then the finale plays itself out way too long, and overstays its welcome with drawn-out "surprises" and poorly-explained plot-twists.

Oh, and another thing, I made the CW joke before, but it really does apply here, because absolutely no one is described in a bad light. I can live with, and have in the original trilogy, everyone being "beautiful" and "handsome" or "fair-haired", but come on, now. I don't have enough appendages to count the number of times Jace's "muscular cords", or Jordan's "broad shoulders", God even Simon's "slim-built" are mentioned. Clare handled all that really well in the original books, balancing what we as readers see in our heads, with enough physical descriptions to not over-saturate the descriptions. But, here, it just adds to the feeling that its fan-fiction by the hand of a very violently pubescent teenager. And I'm not just jealous. So, there.

But, in all seriousness, it all just comes off as a bit unnecessary. City of Glass ended really well, questions answered, bad guy defeated, losses had, but bitterly sweet. So, we now have Fallen Angels bringing the gang back together for 300 pages of boring exposition and a 100 page monologue that is obviously Clare desperately attempting to justify the entire book's existence? I just can't in good mind fully support that. If it weren't these characters, I would have given up. But the three stars are my hope for the future of the series; also for the Infernal Devices to not hit the hole in the road that Mortal Instruments has here.

I know you have it in you Ms. Clare, just give me a reason to care again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Fallen Angels.

04/25/2011 page 139
33.0% "It is amazing how the end of the semester sucks away reading habits. Dear Summer: HTFU." 1 comment
04/28/2011 page 250
59.0% "Hawt"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tori COVERRR!! And yes, her eyes are a bit creepy.

Cara Yeah I'm kind of not digging the whole creepy eye thing either and Simon seems kind of stiff, but overall the cover looks good.

Mitchel Broussard its gonna be hard remembering all the crap that went down at the end of book 3

Cara I know right? I don't even quite remember if Sebastian was dead or not. I'm thinking towards not. Well maybe we'll be able to jump in without too much trouble. You know things come back to you after awhile.

Tori I thought he was dead... I think we need to re-read them.

Cara Yeah I think at least I do because see sometimes I'm sure he is then I think wait no??? Well I got some time. Till April right? Hahaha well I'll see where I'm at next year:0