Keri Daskam's Reviews > Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life

Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich

Jan 12, 10

bookshelves: year-7
Read in January, 2010

I did like this book and it was a fast, 24-hour read. I really did enjoy reading about the author's adventures in self-sufficiency. My one wish is that she would've given more definite numbers for how much she spent to get set up with the mini farm she had (similar to William Alexander's book the The $64 Tomato). My guess is that her upfront costs added up and I think that would've painted a more realistic picture. I admired her inclusion of her failures- the bees, the initial baby chicks, the rabbit with the broken spine- but it didn't encourage me to also start in those ventures. She did open my eyes to the thought of "renting" farm space from someone who has acreage, and maybe I'll be asking my mom real soon to take on a milk cow and some chickens on my behalf.

I really enjoyed the aforementioned tomato book which deals only with gardening and especially Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" quite a bit more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made from Scratch.