Jessie Carty's Reviews > Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Feb 20, 12

I first read Jon Krakauer's work when a friend was gracious enough to share a copy of "Into the Wild" with me. I really love his writing style and I almost gave this book a 5. The only reason I didn't is because I found the number of "characters" a bit daunting. This isn't his fault as he was trying to recount a very involved real life event. I also felt a bit bad for him that he had to add a section at the end of the book to update an ongoing debate from other participants (and writer's of other books) in the tragic events in the 1996 Everest climbing attempts. I, however, appreciated that he did do that and I think it would be fascinating to discuss the situation with my students. We want, often, to write about something dear to us, but deciding when - if or how - to publish those details when others are involved is precarious at best.

Krakauer is a skilled writer and I feel he presents himself as "truthfully" as he possibly can given the magnitude of the tragedy that he is writing about. I'd highly recommend this book for anyone.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into Thin Air.