April Hochstrasser's Reviews > Skin Hunger

Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey

Jan 04, 10

Read in January, 2010

Skin Hunger is absolutely mis-titled. The only skin to skin contact is a handshake at the end between Gerrard and Hahp. The book alternates chapters, one about Sadimaand one about Hahp. Sadima was born under the direction and danger of a false magician who was in the bedroom with the mother and baby, but was busy stealing all the goods instead of helping. She left the mother dead and the baby, Sadima, on the floor, cold and almost dead. Sadima grows up with magical abilities, but because of her birth, and death of her mother, her father hates her and doesn't want anything to do with magic. She later leaves the farm and her story interconnects with Hahps, even though his is centuries later.

The other story line is about Hahp, a boy whose father abandons him to a wizard school where they don't do anything fun or nice like Harry Potter. In this school, if you don't learn magic, you starve to death. Every chapter is filled with more abuse of the unfortunate boys who have been sent there and these chapters are hard to read.

The book ends abruptly, with nothing being solved, and the reader turning pages wondering where the next chapter is? You have to go to book two, Sacred Scars to continue, where the same kinds of things keep happening. I was glad I had it to read at night, and the writing kept me enthralled many late nights. I'm almost through book two and waiting for book three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Hunger.